The process of publishing a book can seem pretty mysterious to aspiring authors. What exactly goes on behind those closed doors? Publishing seems complicated and overwhelming, so much so that most people don’t follow through on their dreams of becoming an author. That’s why I’m so excited to have Clare Marshall on the podcast. Clare actually has her own publishing imprint, and she’s a book design and publishing expert. In our interview, we chat about many things, including publishing, book design and formatting, and selling your books in person at events. These are topics that I think will be of interest to every author, especially if you’re considering self publishing. Be prepared to learn a lot!
In this episode you’ll learn:
- What inspired Clare to start writing
- How Clare became a publishing expert
- What authors need to know about publishing
- The process of publishing and the steps that authors need to work through
- What work authors may need to do even if they’re working with a traditional publisher
- Clare’s advice for successfully selling your books at a live event
- How to format a book so it looks professional and it’s easy to read, too
- Clare’s top 3 pieces of advice for aspiring authors
Clare C. Marshall grew up in rural Nova Scotia with very little television and dial-up internet, and yet she turned out okay. Her hit fantasy novel The Violet Fox earned an honorable mention in the 2016 Whistler Independent Book Awards. She is a full-time freelance editor, book designer, and web manager. If there’s time left in the day, she devotes it to Faery Ink Press, her publishing imprint, and her creative business podcast, Business BFFs. When she’s not writing or fiddling up a storm, she enjoys computer games and making silly noises at cats.
[Tweet “Learn all about formatting, publishing, and selling your books in person from @ClareMarshall13!“]
Where you can find Clare:
Faery Ink Press (Clare’s publishing imprint)
Find Clare’s convention post-mortems on her Faery Ink Press blog
Faery Ink Press Facebook Page
Clare’s podcast, Business BFFs
Business BFFs Podcast Facebook Group
SUBSCRIBE TO THE BLOGGER TO AUTHOR PODCAST
Don’t forget to subscribe to the Blogger to Author Podcast on iTunes and rate it! You can also catch the Blogger to Author Podcast on Google Play and Stitcher.